Monday, March 29, 2010

Reenergizing Biz by Taking Care of ME

Okay I'll admit it...I lost my groove a few weeks ago. No blogging. Less Tweets. My right arm feels like it has carpal tunnel from just having my hand on the mouse instead of the keyboard.

Like many small business owners do from time to time I had fallen into a daze and stopped moving forward.  Granted it was somewhat warranted with a parent having a heart attack, my kid struggling in a few classes, being sick a few weeks,  the horrible extended winter in Atlanta and the fact that some of my clients were struggling too.  I'm sure you can relate.

No matter what the situation a business owner just can't ignore their business or it will fall apart. I knew this and was desperate to get back in the groove. So I tried the usual stuff for me -

I tried writing.
I tried blasting loud music.
I tried networking.
I tried making lists.
I tried reading motivational and inspirational literature.
....and more.

Nothing worked. I finally gave up and gave in.

I left the office early and went for a long long walk by the Chattahoochee River. When I pulled in the parking lot there were ducks swimming in a puddle instead of the river. The water was moving fast from the recent rains. People were happily chatting. I was happy and energized.  I wanted to work.

It occured to me that I simply had forgotten to take care of myself. How could I take care of my business and clients without taking care of myself.  Over the last few weeks I've left the office early on slow days so I could ride my bike on the Greenway. I've ordered great organic foods and tried new receipes. I've also done the most reenergizing thing for me -- started my vegetable garden.

The results of those dinners, rides and digging are new clients, new business leads, open dialogue with clients and a much more clear vision of what I want for my business. 

Today I'd like to encourage YOU to take a walk outside instead of staring at that computer screen. It might just have a huge result on your bottom line.

No comments: