Wednesday, January 27, 2010

It Just Takes Time & A Little Effort

Last night after work I stopped by my neighborhood pub for dinner and a drink.  A few minutes after I sat at the bar a former client sat down beside me. 

This gentleman is an accomplished attorney, very intelligent and ambitious.  He also has dedicated his life's work to helping the little guy. (I love those kind of clients). About three years ago he hired me to gain publicity for his clients who had all fallen victim to prescription drug error. 

The budget was small but I was able to secure a couple of interviews for him - one with a local news station and the other with the major daily newspaper.  They both were prime placements and very timely.  His money and time was well spent.


The newspaper placement resulted as a phone call I placed to a reporter immediately after the client walked out of court.   He had worked on a big case with some attorneys from a tony firm who were too busy going on vacation to talk with a reporter.  My client was ambitious, did a terrific interview from his cell phone and secured quotes in the newspaper.

Of course the client wanted more placements but wasn't in a position to pay me to be more aggressive. He wanted to be on 60 Minutes and Dateline as soon as possible. He is passionate about his cause.  I assured him that his story was newsworthy and it would just take time. Still he passed on my services because of financial reasons.  It happens. I understand these things.

It just takes time and money I guess.

Sitting at the bar sipping a beer the former client proceeded to tell me that how from those two placements he is still receiving media calls from reporters looking for experts and cases to profile.  He told me that even though he hadn't been quoted in many articles, that he had offered important information that helped form a story and hopefully saved peoples lives.  (Gosh I love clients who really believe in what they are doing.)

He told me about a recent "situation" with FOX where he had been interviewed, didn't appear in the segment but somehow his exact words came out of the anchor's mouth.  Thankfully he wasn't bitter. He also told me that he was currently working with the producers of a major national nightly newscast on a story.  He was happy and proud - as he should be.

It has taken three years but he's getting where he wanted to be.  I think I could have gotten him there faster by being proactive - but reality faces us all. I'm proud to be part of the story that will potentially save people's lives and maybe change the way an industry operates. 

So many times clients want to rise to fame and notoriety quickly. They become frustrated because it doesn't happen overnight.  I tell them it takes time, a good story and some cash helps.  It does happen for my clients and I'm part of it.

Its not a microwave dinner - its PR folks. Give me some time and I'll produce results.

No comments: